Now and Then Wiki Community websites get server upgrade

With three communities (Mallala, Gawler and Willunga) now using the Nowandthen wiki format, improvements have been made to the websites to reduce spam and increase speed.

The changes mean that new users will not be able to edit pages until there login registration is confirmed.
This will prevent anonymous users creating unwanted spamming pages.

Advertisements

Further improvements at Museum

The new admin building has had the smoke and movement sensors installed and is now wired into the museums security system, making it a usable space at last.

Drainage trenches have been dug to install drain pipes from the two front downpipes, which will reduce the amount of mud that is generated by the rain. ( I won’t mention the Telstra phone cable that was severed when the trench was dug.) Hopefully this area will be sealed soon, and provide a clean dry entry to the front door, and rear yard. 

EMAC building

The new relocatable arrivesThe new relocatable arrivesThe new relocatable arrivesThe new relocatable arrivesThe new relocatable arrivesThe new relocatable arrives
The new relocatable arrivesThe new relocatable arrivesThe new relocatable arrives019

EMAC, a set on Flickr.

The Mallala Museum’s Flickr site has images of the arrival of our ‘new’ relocatable building. This will house our admin functions, which until now have had to fit in around the collections. Various ‘admin’ materials and files can now be collected from disparate places in the museum and brought together in a single office space.

On the move

It was a busy day on June 24th 2012 when the Mallala Museum committee had a big moving session in preparation for work to begin on the redevelopment of the Paint Shop Gallery.

The vehicles needed to be moved to their new home so all hands were required to push the 1926 old Model T Ford.

It was comparatively easy work to install a battery and drive the 1928 Reo Speedwagon Fire Unit to its new site where it will take pride of place.

The buggy, penny farthing and old Healing bicycle have all been relocated.

Image

Get it out of gear Brian!

Early Mallala Street Lighting

Long before electricity was connected to the town of Mallala there were seven Mozart lamps installed in the mid 1910’s. With no electricity and no town gas supply the lamps were powered with acetylene gas.

Mr H S Mozart of Gawler was a well known acetylene gas expert and was the inventor and maker of the lamps.

In the paper the Register it was reported “The District Council of Grace has ordered four more Mozart street lamps. The three which were previously erected have given every satisfaction”

The photographs of two street lamps have been found in the Mallala Museum Photographic Collection  and one lamp is identified as being located on Aerodrome Rd, formally known as Owen Rd. The identifying feature was the St Peter’s Anglican Church in the background. The site of other photographed lamp is not as readily recognized.

This photograph is of the other Mozart  lamp and the Museum Committee is appealing for help with the naming of this site.
First Street Light 1909
Where were the other five lamps installed ? Are there photographs? The Museum Committee may be contacted at mallalamuseum@gmail.com

Car Club Visits

Falcon Car Club visits Mallala Museum by mallala museum

Mallala is no stranger to the sight of prestige cars in the town. Lately we have had classic cars of a different kind in the town. It is always a pleasure to see the well maintained (and clean) cars lined up outside the Museum.

Mallala Museum welcomes visits by all car clubs. Recently, we have had visits by the Chrysler Car Club of SA.

The Early Model Ford Club and the Ford Falcon Club of SA have also been to the Museum.

We are able to provide morning or afternoon tea as part of the visit and many clubs combine a tour of the Museum with visits to other  local places, in particular the Motorsport Park or just combine it with a country drive.

Many clubs also take the opportunity to have lunch at the Mallala Hotel.

Contact us on 0433-820-570 or email mallalamuseum@gmail.com

WWI chair returns home to Mallala

On September 11th 1916 a young man by the name of Frank Cullen from Mallala enlisted in the 27th Battalion A.I.F. to fight for King and Empire in The Great War. He went by the ship “Afric” to England and from there on 29-9-1917 to serve in France and Belgium where he was killed in action on Christmas Day December 25th 1917 at the age of 21 years. He is buried in the Prowes Point Military Cemetery, Belgium.

An organization named the Mallala Patriotic Girls Club presented his parents Mr and Mrs (Michael and Mary) Cullen with a “Morris” reclining chair with an inscribed silver plaque on it in remembrance of Frank’s life and service to his country. Before the end of the war Mr and Mrs Cullen and family had relocated to Balaklava where Mr Cullen worked as a butcher.

In late 2010 the Mallala Museum committee received an email from a lady named Patricia living in Newcastle NSW.  She had viewed the recently compiled Mallala Museum Wiki site on the Internet www.nowandthen.net.au found the article about the Mallala War Memorial and read the names of the 10 young men who were killed from the area during WW1 which included the name of Private Frank Cullen.

In a remarkable coincidence when Patricia had been living in Adelaide about 20 years earlier, she had browsed in a second hand store and purchased the chair  with the plaque on it in remembrance of Frank Cullen. Patricia moved to Newcastle to live and the chair went with her.

On contacting Patricia by phone she remarked that she was touched by the story and on finding out that there was a museum at Mallala she thought the chair should come back home to Mallala. I agreed that it would be lovely if that could happen and there the story rested for two years.

However one day in late June 2012 there was a telephone call from Patricia’s son Liam to say that he was on his way from Sydney to the Flinders Ranges  and would deliver the chair to the Mallala Museum. The family also gave a generous donation to cover the cost of recovering the chair which at some time had been covered in a modern material. The museum committee was delighted that the chair had finally returned home to Mallala.

The donated Cullen chair July 2012

Pte Frank Cullen 1916